of the International Investment Forum
(Tashkent, October-November 2017)
I. The economic growth and large-scale structural changes in Uzbekistan are attracting the attention of international organizations, foreign countries, companies, banks, investment funds and agencies.
The implementation of an active investment policy aimed at modernization, technical and technological renewal of production through the timely commissioning of modern hi-tech lines for deep processing of raw materials and semi-finished products, transport and communication infrastructure are contributing to the growth of volumes of capital investments.
In 2017 the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan defined the Development Strategy in five priority development areas of the Republic of Uzbekistan for 2017-2021. The document noted that Uzbekistan has a huge investment potential and has a high priority for investment.
In order to achieve the objectives set out in the document, international investment business and economic forums are systematically conducted. Within the framework of the events, investment projects are being actively implemented in such areas as automotive, agricultural machinery, electrical industry, ICT, geology and metallurgy, construction materials, consumer goods, banking and finance, and many other infrastructure projects.
The organization of the international economic investment forum “Tashkent-2017” in Tashkent in autumn 2017 will create an effective platform for interaction between business and the state sector for holding discussions on promoting investment development in the regions of the Republic of Uzbekistan, creating favorable conditions for economic growth and attracting investments, as well as strengthening international cooperation.
II. Main goals and objectives of the forum
- providing a platform for interaction between the business sector and government officials on topical issues of small and medium-sized business development in the Republic of Uzbekistan for enhancing domestic investment in the country's economy;
- ensuring the targeted promotion of specific projects by providing investment proposals and opportunities to find business partners interested in implementing joint projects;
- implementation of the plan for social and economic development of the Republic by attracting investments;
- discussion of the mechanism for establishing business cooperation between the business sector of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the countries participating in the forum;
- determination of priority directions for initiating and promoting projects with representatives of international companies;
- raising the awareness of the world community about the country's economic and investment potential, including the creation of a favorable business environment for the broad development of small and private entrepreneurship;
- demonstration of the possibilities of existing and newly formed Free Economic Zones, technological parks, small industrial zones, etc.;
- establishing the stable partnership relations with representatives of the international investment community;
- attracting foreign capital to the promising sectors of the national economy;
- informing about effective use of attracted foreign investments and credits.
III. The Format of the forum involves about 300 people, including official high level representatives of international financial-economic institutions and foreign countries, influential international business circles, major business organizations of Uzbekistan, leading experts and economists, etc.
The Forum’s priority domains–attracting investments to the economy of the Republic of Uzbekistan; social and economic development of the regions of the Republic of Uzbekistan; strengthening international business cooperation; support of small and medium business in the Republic of Uzbekistan; introduction of innovations and technologies; acquaintance with the current financial services provided by financial institutions.
Section 1:- Agriculture and industry;
Section 2 - Financial sector, tourism and healthcare;
Section 3 - Small energy and renewable energy sources;
Section 4 - Free economic zones.
In the margins of the forum, a separate presentation on the investment and tourism potential of Uzbekistan is to be made.
IV. Expected results from the Forum:
1) conclusion of firm contracts for attracting investments to the country, advanced technologies and methods of modern management for the development of basic branches of the economy, expansion of the scope and diversification of the range of exports of domestic products to foreign markets, implementation of joint projects for localization, selling of the state share in joint-stock companies;
2) development of fundamentally new approaches and tools for solving the problems of socio-economic development of Uzbekistan, as well as practical recommendations on eliminating the obstacles in increasing the share of foreign investment in the national economy;
3) creation of a permanent platform for a constructive dialogue between business and government.